I'll keep most of the text of this post pale yellow in heart-felt condolence for all the educated, sleeping consumers who "consume" Colgate everyday!
...Dilwale Dulhaniya Le Jayenge, Kuch Kuch Hota Hai, Dil Toh Pagal Hai, Mohabbatein, Chak De India (my personal favorite), Om Shanti Om, Ra Ne Banadi Jodi, Kabhi Khushi Kabhi Gham, Kal Ho Na Ho, Veer Zara, and Kabhi Alvida Na Kehna
...has garnered hardcore fans from Pakistan and Germany...to Japan!
I'll tell you why I'm thankful that my date of birth is the only thing Shahrukh and I have in common.....read on....
Some people with chain smoking habits (You know who), know that they are role models for thousands, and yet sometimes they overlook the impact that every slight gesture of theirs can have on the society...
...my guess is, such celebrities may not have learnt the Sudarshan Kriya Yoga or PERHAPS never even experienced the enhanced awareness that meditation and a holistic DIET (excluding poultry meat pumped wth antibiotics, or eggs containing hormones) can bring......in such cases such celebrities consider stress (resulting from their hectic work, super-strenous workouts, the blinding celebrity glitter) as something natural to carry inside their systems...hence the lack of awareness....and they do not mind promoting products without doing their own RESEARCH...
(oh, btw, SRK earns 8 to 9 crores from his brand endorsements.)
What are the ingredients in Colgate?
Water, hydrated silica, glycerin, SORBITOL, PVM/MA copolymer, SODIUM LAURYL SULPHATE, cellouse gum, and flavor, and some other trace chemicals. And of course SODIUM FLUORIDE and Triclosan for whitening.
"Overseas researchers have found Colgate toothpaste contains ingredients that may cause cancer."
Why did I panic when discovered this:
- I had just finished brushing my teeth with Colgate toothpaste (it was in the morning newspaper).
- I have been using Colgate since many years.
As I wondered:
- Where have the quality control authorities gone?
- How come harmful products are on the shelves of supermarkets for so long?
But by now, my insecurity had turned to proactive anger. A few days down the line, here I am, sharing some interesting facts with you...who knows I may be instrumental in a positive change in your lifestyle...we never know :-)
Artificial sweetener- also contained in chewing gums, and calorie-conscious sweets
- causes dramatic weight loss with prolonged or excess ingestion
- causes gastro-intestinal problems like weight loss, or abdominal pain
(Aah, this is my favorite compound..technically termed as 'surfactant', an 'emulsifier', and a 'denaturant')
Also contained in:
- Most shampoos and conditioners (even in the ones labelled 'herbal')
- bath and shower crèmes and gels
- liquid hand soap
Used as a foamer and a detergent in toothpastes, and preferred by manufacturers because it is cheap, SLS is used
- to clean oil spillage from petrol forecourts....means it is very effective (sarcastic)
- It is well KNOWN to be a harmful skin irritant (remember why they say 'flush your eyes with plenty of water' if you get shampoo in them)
- Toxic to the liver and kidneys
- Toxic to aquatic animals/fish (remember tons of this stuff washes-off down our drains!!)
- On the NIH hazards list
- Known to trigger eczema and skin problems
- And this is my favorite: SLS is...Known to cause mouth ulcers!!!
Have you noticed the increasing trend of sensitive teeth? Don't be surprised.
Do you still want to use Colgate?
3. SODIUM FLUORIDE, or MSDS:
Used as Rat Poison...need I say more?
I hope SRK is reading this (for his own health)...
what's the irony of it...most celebs do not even use the products they endorse...
When will it be 2012 for the media industry?
When SRK endorses the 'Jaago Grahak Jaago' (wake up consumer wake up) campaign on television! (hahaha)